This casserole is a favorite around my house. If you are one of my weight-conscious, health-conscious friends you may wish to ignore this post. However, if you are in need of some good comfort food, I urge you to go ahead and indulge. Add a salad and whole wheat rolls to ease your conscience. Also, if you are ever in need of a dish for a potluck supper this recipe is a winner. There is a nice contrast between the bottom layer of the dish and the crunchy, buttery topping.
1 cup long grain white rice
2 cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 cups cooked chopped chicken
3/4 cup butter, divided
1 small onion, chopped
2 cups celery, chopped
2 cups crushed cornflakes
1 cup sliced almonds
1) Preheat oven to 350º. Grease 13×9 pan.
2) Cook rice as directed on package. Transfer to large mixing bowl.
3) Mix in soup, mayonnaise, and cooked chicken.
3) Melt 1/4 cup butter in large skillet. Saute onion and celery until soft. Stir into chicken
4) Spread mixture into prepared pan.
5) Mix crushed cornflakes with 1/2 cup melted butter. Stir in almonds.
6) Spread over top of chicken mixture.
7) Bake 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Enjoy!